OLIS-LORI Delivery FAQ
pdf for printing
- My driver has left some materials/bins behind, should I notify OLIS?
Yes. Please notify OLIS as soon as possible by filling in the online Delivery Issues Report Form atThe form generates an email notification to OLIS staff. Bins or materials left behind should be picked up on the same day or OLIS can request credit for a missed stop. OLIS will contact the vendor to return.
- I don’t have enough bins; will the driver take a few extra items I have ready without the bin?
Yes, if they have space.
If you have 2 or 3 items and no bin to place them in, you can ask the driver if there is room in a bin in their vehicle to put them in. Notify OLIS if you need extra bins by using the Delivery Issues Report Form online.
- The driver didn’t come today, should I wait for my next stop?
No. You should use the online Delivery Issues Report Form to report the missed stop. Please do not wait until days after the missed stop or until your driver has missed multiple stops before reporting this to OLIS. Please let OLIS know as soon as possible.
- If I notify OLIS of a missed stop or incident, will my driver get into trouble?
No. The vendor supervisor will speak with the driver to resolve the issue. Most issues are not severe and will not cause the driver to be in any serious trouble. It will not affect your relationship with your driver.
- Do all libraries have delivery service?
No. Only libraries who are LORI Network member libraries can receive delivery service. Currently there are 208 library delivery sites. This includes public, school, academic, hospital, special and state institutional libraries.
- How does OLIS determine # stops per library?
Each year OLIS conducts a delivery items count and uses the information recorded by library staff to count the # of items/materials a library places in delivery. This #/volume is used to determine # of stops a library will need. Adjustments are made as needed.
- Where do I look to find the current schedule of stops or the 3 letter code of a library?
All information about the delivery service including stops list and codes can be found at http://www.olis.ri.gov/lori/delivery/index.php.
- What happens if an item is miscoded or a routing/delivery slip falls out?
Any item placed in delivery with an improper code or without a slip, will be sent directly to OLIS where the proper destination or owning library information will be determined and the item will be sent on its way.
- If an item is lost what should I do?
Check with the lending library to be sure that no one placed the item back on their shelves and that it has left their library. If the item does not arrive after 2 weeks has passed place the information in the Delivery Issues Report Form online at http://www.olis.ri.gov/lori/delivery/incident.php. Neither OLIS nor the vendor holds materials.
- If an item is damaged in the delivery by the vendor how do we proceed?
The library receiving the damaged item(s) will need proof of vendor negligence and should send that information to OLIS at OLIS along with any photos of the damaged items.
- Is there information available online about how library materials should be packed for delivery?
Yes. Please refer to, and let your circulation staff know that there is a Best Practices page on the OLIS website with examples of good and bad delivery practices at http://www.olis.ri.gov/lori//delivery/practices.php
- Who administers the LORI Delivery Service?
The LORI Delivery Service is administered by and paid for by the State of Rhode Island, Office of Library and Information Services. Each stop incurs a charge. OLIS is billed by # of stops.